If you were involved in a car accident and the fault was of the other driver, you may think the driver’s insurance will help pay for the injuries you sustained. However, this could be wishful thinking, as there is no certainty that the driver’s insurance company will foot your medical expenses. And, if the insurance company does pay, you have to be assured that you get compensated fairly. Most insurance companies know all the possible tactics to keep settlement claims related to bodily injuries to the minimal and they will leave no stone unturned to ensure that you do not get the claim you filed for. It is for this reason you need an experienced and qualified personal injury attorney at your side.
Situations when you need to hire personal injury lawyers
There are situations when you should seek the services of a personal injury lawyer and likewise there are circumstances which suggest you should not hire one.
Here are some of the occasions when you should definitely hire a personal injury attorney who is well-versed in personal injury law related to your state of residence.
- You have been injured seriously and your injuries would have a long-term effect on your life and livelihood
- The driver at fault was underinsured or uninsured
- You are having a dispute with the other driver as to whose fault caused the accident
- The claims adjuster is pressurizing you to settle quickly and accept the compensation that the other driver’s insurance company is offering you. Remember, this pressure can cause you to take decisions that are not favorable to you, particularly if the claim uses a whole lot of legal jargon that you cannot understand.
- The statutes of limitation in your state of residence may come into play before you can dispute the settlement claim in the court of law
- You are of the opinion that the compensation you are getting is not fair and will not help pay for your existing and future medical expenses that you have to incur due to the car accident.
On the other hand, if you have sustained minor injuries that are not serious, you should not hire a personal injury attorney. This would be foolishness on your part, as the legal costs will not justify the injuries you have sustained.
What Happens When You Hire a Personal Injury Attorney?
First and foremost, you should hire a personal injury lawyer who knows the ins and outs of personal injury law and will not get cowed down by the huge legal team of the insurance provider. Also, make sure you are clear about the payment terms. Usually personal injury lawyers’ work on contingency basis, which means you would have to pay a fixed percentage to the lawyer based on the settlement amount. So be clear in this regard, as sometimes the contingency fee can be pretty steep. You also would have to foot the bill for many other things, such as copying and filing costs.
After hiring a personal injury attorney, you should be patient, especially if your case is going to court. It can take months, if not years, to settle car accident claim cases. As long as you have a good lawyer fighting your case, you can rest assured.